Thursday, June 5, 2014

Reflections on a 35 Year Career - The 4th internship tour

A writer writes.

My fourth stint as an intern began after Thanksgiving in 1978.  I was now placed in Management Employee Relations Division.  It was an area where disciplinary actions were initiated against employees and where the labor relations function existed.  My apartment was no longer a block away.  I could not find a vacancy where I lived that summer and my counter part who had continued my lease no longer attended Evansville.  So, I found an efficiency near the middle of the city.  By that time I had my parents car full time so I drove to work every day.  I was now more mobile and recall venturing to the mall and downtown for entertainment.

I don't recall a lot about the work that I did during that stint.  I do recall having to purchase a new battery for my car when during winter weather it would not start.  I still had very few friends that I associated with during my internship.  I do recall driving my future wife back to school after New Years and returning to Indianapolis with a friend of hers from Evansville in a winter storm at night.  The drive was hazardous and we both prayed until we were safely back in the city.

Ironically the brother of my wife's friend is one of the married couples in a church marriage ministry my wife and I are part of.  My former wife's friend died of breast cancer several years ago.  I did not know her brother was related to her until he started talking about his deceased sister.  It turned out that my current wife also knew his sister in high school.  It is amazing how connections occur in life.

But, I digress.  That fourth internship stint ended without any lasting memories.  I returned to campus to finish out the last quarter.  I was soon to begin my last internship in the summer of 1979.


No comments:

Post a Comment