Sunday, May 24, 2015

Memorial Day Thoughts and Looking Back

On this Memorial Day weekend I repost my original blog post from August 2013.  But first, my Memorial Day thoughts are for all those unknown and forgotten men and women who endured slavery in these United States of America.  To be treated as property, 3/5 of a human being by the government was not a beginning anyone should have.  For those African Americans who voluntarily served in the Armed forces of the United States despite the racism you encountered in your home life a special honor goes to you.  To be wanted to give your life for your country, but then told when you come home you have limited freedom due to the color of your skin could not have been a good experience.  For the Native American civilization that was already here I pause to pay respect to you and how you took care of the land that existed in it's pristine state before technology and Europeans took over and ended your reign.  As time continues to march on......

Original Blog From August 13, 2013

"So, this Black Man aspiring to be a published writer has started a "blog".  In this I will share insights of a Black man who has to date successfully traversed (through God's blessings) through childhood days in St. Louis, Missouri; Compton, California; Gary, Indiana; a college detour through Evansville, Indiana; to a Federal career in Indianapolis, Indiana and now retirement in my mid 50s.

It is a different era from when I was "growing up".  One view I have always had is that Black men have obtained an image that is mostly negative and that our overall successes  are unknown, overlooked, or ignored.  I sometimes wonder if you listed the various human racial minorities and placed them in numerical order, would an audience of judges rank Black males in the top or lower quadrant in term of positive viewpoints?

Well, I recall one evening in the past 10 years when I parked my car outside a high scale department store preparing to go in.  A Caucasian woman saw me get out of my car headed in her direction as she was exiting the store.  She began to run for her car as if I was going to attack her.  I could only laugh and shake my head at her perception that I was the evil Black man getting ready to rob her and kidnap her.  Fast forward to 2012 at a scene in Florida where an adult profiles a black teenager wearing a hoodie as being a danger to the neighborhood.  Unfortunately that event lead to the teen's death.  Let us Black men continue to do positive things to change the negativity."

No comments:

Post a Comment