Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Greatest Enemy to Black People's Progress In the United States ? - Black People

 I have seen it before.  A meeting is held in a black community to discuss an issue.  At the meeting volunteers come forward to help resolve a problem.  Offers of non monetary aid are made.  Afterwards in response to all the offers to help, nothing happens! After the excitement of getting mobilized and excited to deal with a problem, for some reason those initial efforts result in nothing being done.  Either roadblocks appear, no agreement can be found on how to resolve an issue, or the effort loses steam. Many times the people who volunteered are never contacted.

In terms of voluntary efforts I can speak on two examples.  First is a library in the black community in Sarasota, Florida.  I went to the website and saw an announcement for people to volunteer for committees at the library.  I submitted the appropriate electronic message and....absolutely nothing happened!  No one returned my call or sent me a returned message.  The library and the community lost an opportunity to gain someone to help out free of charge.  I wonder how many other requests have been ignored?

My second example is the Evansville African American Museum, in Evansville, Indiana.  I contacted them because I have some historical momentos related to former black students who attended the University of Evansville.  I did receive two emails, one from the mueum curator and one from another museum employee saying that they had interest in my momentos, and a "let's" talk response.  After that.....nothing!  I also offered a documentary on the history of black students at the University of Evansville for display in the museum.  For some reason the museum stopped the dialogue on how to obtain the documentary.  On the other side, a white librarian employee of the University of Evansville, contacted me to obtain a copy of the dialogue for the University's educational use.  The University now have been licensed a copy.  The college is a primarily white, European American, college. The black museum has done nothing to obtain a licensed copy of a documentary that is about black people!

We as black people only need to look in the mirror to find the people who can make a difference.  It just takes action on our part.  No more excuses.  If you are in a position to implement a change or to accept a volunteer, do your part and open the door for action and communication.  That person could be the one who could help make a difference.  If you don't give them the chance, you will never know.



No comments:

Post a Comment