Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Black Man's Prayer

I pray that when I have contact with people,  I am not immediately judged based on negative stereotypes, fears, apprehensions, and negative images displayed and promoted by the media about black men.  I pray that I am given the chance to display who I am based on my actions and words. I pray that as I walk along a street or in a store I am greeted with a smile and not a frown. I pray that I am not profiled as being a dangerous and suspicious person.  I pray that I am honored and respected even if I am not an athlete or an entertainer.  I pray that people are not surprised when they receive excellence from me. I pray that if my car should break down in the middle of the night and I seek help, people will not fear me, call the police and I wind up being shot to death because the police too fear me at night unarmed.  I pray that when I stand outside a metropolitan hotel checking my smartphone I will not be tackled by a policeman, thrown to the ground, handcuffed and lead away like a common criminal.  I pray that I will not be shot in the back by a policeman claiming to be fearful for his life.  I pray for opportunity. I pray for fairness.  I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment