Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Reflections on 2013

A writer writes!

Seven days until the formal end of 2013.  Year end is always a reflective time for me.  I think about events that transpired during the year.  I review what I accomplished and what didn't go as well as I would have desired.  This was my first year of "retired" life.  I began implementing my goals related to writing and having the opportunity to express myself.  That is where this blog came from.  I had no lofty goals of having thousands of followers to this blog.  I just wanted the opportunity to say whatever is on my mind and put those thoughts out there.  If someone comes across the blog and my words inspires them into a positive direction or makes them think about an issue, that is an extra benefit.

The freedom to express myself and my views has long been a goal of mine.  Coming from a 35 year career in the Federal government, I often had to regurgitate official rules and laws, some which I did not believe were correct.  But, these were the rules I pledged to uphold.  That system was unfortunately influenced at all levels by the biases, beliefs, and opinions of those in various positions of authority.  So, there were discriminatory actions and decisions made that the Public would be amazed by.  I on occasion would come into conflict against the system and I would make my feelings known.  I'm sure my boisterous opinions kept be from rising to higher levels in the organization.  But, I would rather wake up in the morning knowing I never sold my soul to the system than to achieve a higher pay grade by "selling out".

This year has also allowed me to write comedy materials and sell them on the website Fiverr.com.  I've made what I call "pocket change" but, it's the first step in my goal to be a comedy writer who gets paid for what he writes.  The one thing I like about writing is that my success on non success is largely dependent on my actions.  If I don't write, I'm not a writer.  If I do write it doesn't matter if I don't make $30,000 plus for what I'm doing.  Just being able to write intelligent, thoughtful material is my grading curve for success.  For my comedy material, if my customers or their audience laughs, it's a success!

I live comfortably in retirement.  My health is good.  I can walk, talk, and  am able to move about freely. Sometimes we take for granted the simple things in life.  I can say, I'm at a point where I don't.  Having both hands to use to type is something I am thankful for.  Being able to see the words I type is another gift.

So, in reflecting on this year although I didn't achieve worldly accomplishments, I did do what I set out to do.  I continue to work on my personal character which is always a work in progress for me.  As of December 24, 2013 I am still alive and that by itself is an accomplishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment