Monday, March 30, 2020

The Virus Chronicles Day 35

I reloaded on groceries this morning.  I visited the local Kroger's which has been the most organized store of the three I have visited in the past 4 weeks.  Kroger's had an ample supply of food available.  Fish remains a hard to find item.  On this trip Kroger's even had my trusty Jiffy Mix.  I only got enough food for 2 weeks.  I still am not into hoarding.  Those periods of poverty in my childhood prepared me for rough times.  Any food items I am not eating now I consider just luxuries. As I walked around you could feel the anxiety of the shoppers.  Some wearing masks.  Life moves on.

We received word yesterday evening that a fellow former church member of ours from a past church passed away yesterday.  The Corona virus was the cause.  He was in his mid 60s.  I recall the last time communicating with him.  I had made him  an offer to fellowship over lunch  even though we had left the church he was a member of.  Unfortunately he turned down the offer to maintain a friendship.  After that I never heard from him again.   One of his son's is in the hospital, assumingly also for the virus.  His wife has moved in with another son for the time being.  They are the first people we know who have succumbed to the virus.

I have family who died from the Spanish flu and typhoid fever in the early 1900s.  I think of them often during this virus season.  This period gives me some idea of what they must have been feeling.  Medicine in some ways is more advanced than in the time frame they lived.  But as the Corona virus shows, we apparently will never be free from dangerous virus.

Outside my window, the robins and other birds are still searching for food and nesting materials.  Squirrels and chipmunks scamper by.  A squirrel buries an acorn, not knowing I see where his stash is located.  The red cardinals add some color to the cloudy blue sky.  Spring is not far away.  The human race continues with fewer souls than last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment